Monday, March 28, 2011

Mustangs Banquet Dinner

Last night was the Mustangs "End of the Season" Banquet Dinner.  All of the billet families were there, the players, coaching staff etc.  Gunnar, Kalin and I went (Miss Molly stayed at home with Marina, our babysitter, and had a fabulous time!)  We had a nice dinner, the coach spoke about the season and recognized each player and awarded them a plaque.  Then there were 6 specialty awards that the coach gave out such as: Most improved player, Most sportsmanship etc.  One of those awards was the "Coach's Choice" award.  The coach described the player that was the Coach's Choice, and  he had the nicest things to say.  About 30 seconds into his speech, I knew he was talking about Kalin.  He continued his speech, and at one point began to cry, because of how proud he was of him, and how much he will miss having him on the team next year (Kalin will be too old to play in the league next year) - and at this point, I am crying too, and when he finally revealed it was Kalin who was going to receive this award, he went up to accept it, and I was sitting there crying (like an idiot!) as if it were really my own kid up there!  I couldn't even believe it!  (Even Gunnar got all choked up!)  I think at that point it finally hit me that the season was over, and Kalin would be leaving us soon!  I was so proud of Kalin at that moment, he's gone through a lot in the short time he has lived with us, on and off the ice, and he truly has become part of our family!  We want nothing but great things for him in his future, and definitely plan on staying in his life in some way.  This whole experience of being a billet family has been so great, I never expected us to gain a family member through the process, but I wouldn't change a thing!  We love ya Kalin!

Kalin accepting his Coach's Choice award!

Since Kalin can't play in the league next year, they gave him his jersey!

From left: Coach, the captain, and 3 assistant captains (Kalin is all the way to the right)

The team

Family (minus Molly!)

1 comment: